Thursday, October 13, 2005

Playin' with some green ingredients

Biscotti.... these crunchy little cookies can be made into so many different tasty treats. The version I made today is an Italian type as there is no butter in the recipe. These are more on the dry side and usually do not have a lot of extra stuff mixed in. They are denser and have more crunch than an American style where the dough is softer and able to accept more mix-ins.

*Click for a closer view

Double Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti have a very deep and rich chocolate flavor from dutch cocoa with melted unsweetend chocolate mixed in. These would be great little cookies to dip into your favorite coffee drink. The Pistachios bring a slightly nutty essence and visual interest to the biscotti.

Double Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
*Click for a closer view

Dinner tonight was Honey-Hoisin Pork Tenderloin with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes . The ingredients of each dish went together so well and had many different flavors going on. The pork was slightly sweet and had a nice depth of flavor from the sage honey. I did have a tough time finding the honey but finally found some yesterday. I was just going to go with regular desert honey but wanted to see if I could find what was suggested in the recipe. I'm glad I did!

Honey-Hoisin Pork Tenderloin
*Click for a closer view

The Wasabi potatoes kept me waiting for a kick of heat, but I think it could use another 1/2 teaspoon or so. I did increase from what CL suggested but even so I think there was a lot of potatoes to try and flavor. I like that the only added liquid to mash them was the low-fat yogurt which kept them creamy and quite fluffy without going gummy. I really don't like gummy mashed potatoes. They do take on a very very slight green hue from the Wasabi powder.

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
*Click for a closer view

5 comments:

  1. How very odd. I served the exact same dinner tonight, Joe. Must be something in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be! How did you like it? We both thought it was very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God..it was faboulous to see what you made with all those lovely pistachios. I love biscoti. Mainly dunking them in a lovely cup of capuccinno - my dad would NEVER let me do that when I was growing up you see(too working class he would say). Also, being a huge fan of mashes, I will definitely try the wasabi mash. I have to say, it's been great visiting your blog. Congratulations on such fab site!! Till next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a candied ginger and walnut biscotti and so I would love to try these, pistachio ones.

    ReplyDelete