Friday, November 11, 2005

Favorite flavor combination...

In Monday's post I mentioned that I was busy making some dough that went into the freezer. Below is Chocolate Peanut Butter Ribbon cookies. These are made from two separate doughs, cut in half, then layered into a loaf pan. After being frozen, they are easily cut into strips and then baked to make these tasty cookies.

Chocolate and peanut butter is probably one of my most favorite flavor combinations. These cookies have a great balance of each flavor, without one dominating the other too much. I found the cookies to be sturdy, not quite crispy, soft, but not cakey. They are chewy and the bits of crushed granola inside the peanut butter dough gave some additional interest. You could store this in the freezer for awhile and just cut of slices (or pre-cut all at once) and then bake whenever you want fresh cookies. Each dough is also good on it's own if you would like a good basic cookie.

For the dinner dish tonight, the recipe called for Tomato Chutney. I gave 4 stores a shot to find it, but none of them had just tomato chutney. It was either Mango or some other flavor and was pretty expensive for a small jar. I decided to just make it, rather than continue searching, so it was cheaper in the long run and without all the added stuff they put inside.

Cheddar Rice Casserole with Tomato Chutney is a dish you can make up the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. It does take a while to bake, but being able to do everything before hand makes up for it. This was a surprise hit as we didn't know if all the flavors would blend enough for us. The casserole cut cleanly and had a hearty comforting taste to it. I imagine this will freeze well and can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch next week.

7 comments:

  1. These recipes both sound great. I'm going to try the cookies today. I think my family would go for the casserole if I used salsa instead of chutney. Do you think that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,

    I think you could use salsa - that was my original plan before I decided to make the chutney. Maybe cook it down some so the extra liquid evaporates? Chutney is pretty thick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm, peanut butter and chocolate. Love it! I just sampled a new hershey kiss w/ creamy peanut butter inside!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe. The cookies look great. I've made black and white cookies before - like your cookies, but with a plain butter dough instead of PB - but the PB version sounds even better. I've also made them into pinwheels. I've also seen checkerboard, but that seems like perhaps too much work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle - I saw them at the store the other day... they look good!

    Alysha, Thanks! I've seen the other versions too - I might try to do them sometime in the future as it was pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm.. looks good, therefore it must tastes good huh! I like the contrast of colors..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Grace!

    Doggerham - Thanks for the offer and the source location! If I ever find a need for it again, I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete