Monday, June 12, 2006

Dinner without heating the house...

The new season of Hell's Kitchen starts tonight. We liked the last season and have been looking forward to seeing what this one brings. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to be in his kitchen! Anyone else going to watch?

When it is this hot outside (108 today!), it is nice to make things for dinner that do not require you to heat up the house with the stove. I made tonight's recipe in The Griddler, but this meal would be great on an outside grill.

Spicy Jerk Chicken Kebabs with Bell Peppers and Pineapple are sweet with a spicy bite to them. To start off, cubed chicken breast is marinated in a pungent combination of toasted spices, brown sugar, lime, soy sauce, Worcestershire, paprika, thyme, garlic, shallots, fresh ginger and jalapeƱos. I left the jalapeƱo whole to pump up the heat, but if you want a more mild version, seed them before using. For a fun flare, diced pineapple in addition to chopped red and yellow peppers are threaded onto the skewers between the juicy chicken breasts. As the fruit and veggies caramelize, the sweetness is brought to the surface. When you reach a piece, it helps to calm down the bite from the racy marinade.

*If you opt to use wooden skewers, be sure to soak them for a bit in water to reduce the chance of charring them.

13 comments:

  1. Joe - Those jerk skewers look amazing. I can just imagine them serving them on smaller stakes as a pass-around for a fancy party. It sounds like the clock is ticking down for your big move. I hope it goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had class last night...however, I recorded Hells Kitchen and am so psyched to watch it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recorded "Hell's Kitchen" too.

    Those skewers look great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe,

    I loved Hell's Kitchen last year too and eagerly ran home to catch the premiere last night. I was so disappointed. The show has basically turned into every other over-the-top reality show that loves to humiliate people and create never-in-real-life sitatuations. The contestants are a joke- the only one that could maybe run a restaurant is Heather- and Gordon Ramsey is just becoming too much. Can any of those people even boil water? No wonder Ramsey is so mad all the time! Hello casting department?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm, these skewers looks delicious! I am going to try them when I come back from Brazil (in July)!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really drooling now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed - I agree, bite sized versions of these would go great! Thanks for the wishes!

    Kalyn - they were pretty tasty!

    Hereandthere123 - check out Tuesdays post!

    Wheresmymind and Jennifer - What did you think of it? I liked last years better so far, this one seems a little over dramatic.

    tokyoastrogirl - I know exactly what you are talking about! I wonder how bad her hand was burned, they didn't seem to show much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana - Hope your trip is going well!

    Emily - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've also just begun following a show being aired on the BBC called Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, in which Ramsay makes over ailing restaurants. i like it as much as i like hell's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. im going to ignore those chocolate chip bars at the top of the page and come look at these delicious healthy jerky chicken things. yummy & although the bars are yummy too its so tempting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. TG - I wish we had the BBC here, I've heard more than a few shows I'd like to see. We don't have digital cable, but hopefully when we move it may be an option!

    Catesa - hee hee, do try the jerk chicken if you can - we really liked it!

    ReplyDelete