Saturday, June 17, 2006

Freezer finds...

I was going through the freezer last night trying to figure out what I could get used up today. I saw a couple frozen bananas and knew I had a recipe set aside for them somewhere. It took me a bit to find the recipe in the monster known as "the stack" but I finally found it.

Toni's Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Bread is a moist flavorful bread and depending on what brand of yogurt and chocolate you use, I think could be considered vegan. The recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour to keep it light, but I think a mixture of half all-purpose and half whole wheat would be ok here. You could also use all white whole wheat flour if you have access to it. The banana flavor was pretty subtle even though mine were pretty ripe, so I would add a touch of banana extract next time. You can taste a hint of cinnamon and the amount was just right for us. I used mini chocolate chips as I find the distribution of them to be better in breads and muffins. To help the chips and walnuts from sinking to the bottom, be sure to coat them in a tablespoon or so of the flour.

It has been awhile since we have been home all weekend so we can finally get caught up with Netflix again. Tonight's movie is Oliver Twist. I hope to carve out some time tonight to get the menu for next week done and the grocery list started for tomorrow. Until then...

6 comments:

  1. Bananas and chocolate...what a combo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheresmymind - We like the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I love all recipes banana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this bread last weekend and really enjoyed its flavor and texture. I was worried it would be too dense and heavy, but not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore choc & bananas together. I GOTTA try this one soon. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valentina - Agreed and a great way to use them up when they turn dark!

    Ungouremtgal - I was pretty happy with the light texture too!

    Acme - Let me know how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete