Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fresh local sweet corn....

We headed out to one of the local Farmers Markets yesterday and had to pick up some very fresh and local bicolored corn when we saw it. I have at least three things planned for the ears this week, check back to see what we end up doing with them!

Because we are still trying to get into a routine for grocery shopping, I prepared lunch before we left so we didn't have to deal with that when we returned home. I cooked the chicken for the recipe, Creamy Tarragon Chicken Salad, along with the chicken I used for making our normal Saturday Chicken Salads last night. Crisp celery and grapes helped to bulk up the mixture to fill out whole wheat pitas. Toasted walnuts added a nutty richness that paired well with the subtle licorice notes from tarragon. The creamy dressing was not too heavy for this fairly quick and light dish.

We've been too busy to catch up with Netflix lately - I do miss being able to keep up with the DVDs, but until there is more time on the weekends we will just keep adding more to the ever-growing queue!

Recipes
Creamy Tarragon Chicken Salad

*I also finally updated the recipe lists (on the left hand side) - I'm about a week behind now, but I will get that finished up this week. You may have to hit refresh to see the additions.

6 comments:

  1. Thats some good looking corn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MD corn truly is the best. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    The chicken sald looks great, even though I no longer eat chicken. I have always loved chicken salad with fruit in it. One of my favorite chicken salad recipes of all time has apricot preserves, almonds and curry in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, if you've got good tomatoes available, too, check out this wonderful, simple pasta salad from the New York Times:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/dining/261brex.html?ref=dining

    It includes roasted AND fresh tomatoes, lovely fresh corn, and fresh herbs of your chosing (I used a "faux-Asian" mix of mint/cilantro/basil this weekend, and nearly hurt myself from eating too much!

    (And I don't see why adding zucchini or cucumber wouldn't work, too, leaving out the pasta and/or cheese to make a side dish for a simple grilled main course.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sold on grapes in chicken salad...I know people dig it...I just can't get into it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are killing me! I grew up with corn like that in the summer. You can't find corn like that in France! I'm jealous.
    You chicken salad looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily - I agree!

    Linda - So far, we are really loving it!

    J.bo - Thank you for that link! It sounds so good!

    Wheresmymind - I like it more than I thought I would!

    Melissa - Hmm... I'm not sure I would stay just for the corn if I could be in France! :)

    ReplyDelete