Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Simple chicken and rice...

I knew I was not able to devote a bunch of time to make dinner tonight, so when I was planning the menu this week, I picked out a recipe that was mostly hands off with little prep time. For this Sesame Brown Rice Salad with Shredded Chicken and Peanuts, I was able to be off doing other projects as the rice didn't need much tending to since it took awhile to cook.

Once the nutty rice was finished, we mixed in chunky shredded chicken breast, bright orange carrot strips, green onions, peanuts and cilantro. To give the salad a zesty tang, a simple dressing made from fresh lime juice, canola oil, toasted sesame oil and minced garlic is combined and drizzled over the rice. You really only need just a teaspoon of the sesame oil to get the needed punch of flavor for this dish - we both thought that if you used any more that it may be a bit overwhelming. The peanuts added a nice textural crunch against the tender pieces of chicken and floral brown jasmine rice. Pretty easy, very pleasing to the palate and since it is fairly quick with little hands-on time, I will definitely be keeping this one handy for those upcoming busy days!


2 comments:

  1. It looks good and refreshing!
    I have seen more positive reviews on this dish. I really like your picture Joe, made me want to try it too!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana - it was refreshing, Jeff made short order of the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete