Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The tofu was good, but the rice was fantastic!

It had been awhile since the last time we cooked with tofu and I had been keeping my eye out for a recipe that looked like something we would enjoy. I recently came across this recipe for Orange-Glazed Tofu Triangles with Sesame Rice and it sounded too good to pass up.

Since the tofu will be marinated and grilled, the first thing that needs to be done after slicing the tofu into triangles is placing them on paper towels and weighing them down. This squeezes out any excess water which will allow the tofu to soak in the flavorful marinade. Sweet fresh-squeezed orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, chili garlic sauce and fresh ginger are combined in a shallow dish to strong arm its way into the slices, taking the bland tofu to a new level. Once enough time has passed, you can either fire up the grill, use a grill pan or plug in The Griddler to cook the tofu - we opted for the latter to move things along a little faster. The second part of the dish is then created by sautéing green peas, shredded carrots and sliced green onions in a bit of sesame oil. Once tender, cooked brown basmati rice is added and the two continue to cook until thoroughly heated through. A scoop of toasted sesame seeds is added and the rice portion is complete. The tofu was good - flavorful and it had a nice texture, but the rice portion was fantastic... it was nutty, fresh tasting and very colorful. I'd certainly make the rice again just to have as a side dish - however, the two do match well together enough to enjoy as a complete dish.


2 comments:

  1. I am scared to death of tofu. It's just always been pounded in my head that it's gross and only for vegetarians. In my old age (shhh!) I'm learning that's not the case and I have a dear friend who has shot me over some tofu recipes that she gives glowing reviews.. but I still haven't taken the chance. This recipe gets me all excited like her recipes did.. I have got to try tofu!!! And that rice - I will so be making the rice even if I do chicken out on the tofu again. Wish me luck! =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lis - I was too at first, but it is worth it to get over that fear!

    ReplyDelete